Toilet Water From Busted Line Puts Out Manhattan Fire

By  | 

MANHATTAN, Kan. (WIBW) -- A toilet saves the day when a Manhattan apartment catches fire on Thursday. Water shooting from a busted line that led to the lavatory put our the flames before firefighters arrived, according to the Manhattan Fire Dept.

Firefighters were called to the apartment, 1105 Ratone Street, Apartment 11, shortly after 3:00 p.m. on Thursday. Light smoke was rising from the rear of the building as they pulled in and, when they got to the apartment, they found it was filled with smoke.

Investigators said the fire started in a bathroom trashcan and spread to the cabinets. The heat from the fire caused the water line to fail and it put out the fire.

The person who lived in the apartment wasn't home at the time.

The fire caused an estimated $8,000 in damages - $3,000 to the 12 apartment complex and another $5,000 to the contents of the apartment. Investigators determined the fire was an accident.