1 Hurt In SW Topeka Blaze

By  | 
View Map

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- One person was taken to the hospital following a house fire in southwest Topeka on Friday, according to the Topeka Fire Dept.

Firefighters were called to the home, 3231 SW Sena Dr., around 7:15 p.m. where they could see light smoke and flames as soon as they got there. They managed to contain the blaze within twenty minutes, authorities said.

The lone person who was in the house at the time escaped before emergency crews arrived, having suffered a mild case of smoke-inhalation. After being treated at the scene, the homeowner was taken to the hospital to be evaluated, the fire dept. said.

Investigators believe the fire was an accident, adding that it was most likely caused by carelessly disposing of smoking materials. They estimated it caused around $20,000 in damage to the home and another $10,000 to its contents.