Late Washburn push falls short in OT

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Washburn's late game push to take down Fort Hays State fell short in overtime. The 41-38 loss drops Washburn to 1-2 on the season.

Washburn head coach Craig Schurig hugs Fort Hays State head coach Chris Brown after the game. The Ichabods lost in overtime 41-38. Brown was an assistant with Washburn from 2002-10.

The Ichabods took the ball first in overtime, but that drive came to a close after quarterback Mitch Schurig threw his third interception. After the turnover, Fort Hays kicked a short field goal to take the win.

It took a monster effort from the Ichabods in order to force overtime. The Tigers scored 21 unanswered points on a stretch spanning the last minutes in the second quarter and the entirety of the third. Heading into the final quarter of play, Washburn trailed by 14 points.

With their backs against the wall, the Ichabod offense came alive, scoring 17 unanswered points. Washburn held a three-point lead with under four minutes left in the game.

On the ensuing drive, the Tigers scored a field goal to tie it and send the game to overtime, where Fort Hays eventually won their first game of the season.

Scoring came from a variety of plays for Washburn. Percy Mitchell scored a pair of goal line touchdowns. Schurig also contributed two passing touchdowns, both to Collin Wilson. James Letcher Jr. scored on an incredible 100-yard kick return touchdown. The offense

The biggest difference in this game came in the Ichabods struggles corralling the Tigers rushing attack. Fort Hays put up 181 yards on the ground, highlighted by Charles Tigner's 125 yards. Fort Hays came into this game averaging 75.5 rushing yards per game.

Ultimately, the Washburn interceptions proved to be the biggest issue. Including the interceptions thrown in this game, Mitch Schurig has thrown 6 interceptions which is the most in the MIAA.

Up next for the Ichabods is a road trip with the University of Central Missouri. Kick off is Saturday, September 28th at 1:00 pm.