LAWRENCE, Kan. (WIBW) -- The 2019 college basketball season hasn’t even tipped off yet and already University of Kansas players are bringing home awards, including Pre-season Player of the Year honors for Jayhawks center Udoka Azubuike.
Doke’s win is the second time in three years one of head coach Bill Self’s players brought home the top prize heading into the season (Devonte’ Graham - 2017). The seven-foot senior averaged 13.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per game last season and helped take KU to the Final Four in his sophomore campaign.
2019-20 BIG 12 PRESEASON HONORS
- Preseason Player of the Year – UDOKA AZUBUIKE (KANSAS, C, 7-0, 270, Sr.)
- Preseason Newcomer of the Year - Chris Clarke (Texas Tech, G, 6-6, 200, Sr.)
- Preseason Freshman of the Year - Oscar Tshiebwe (West Virginia, F, 6-9, 258)
Azubuike was also named to the Preseason All-Big 12 Team, along with teammate Devon Dotson. The sophomore guard ranked 12th in the Big 12 in scoring last year (12.3 points) and sixth in assists (3.5 per game) and earned a spot on the Big 12 all-tournament team with his performance in Kansas City last year.
Preseason All-Big 12 Team (listed alphabetically by school)
- Tristan Clark (Baylor, F, 6-9, 240, Jr.)
- Tyrese Haliburton (Iowa State, G, 6-5, 172, So.)
- UDOKA AZUBUIKE (KANSAS, C, 7-0, 270, Sr.)
- DEVON DOTSON (KANSAS, G, 6-2, 185, So.)
- Desmond Bane (TCU, G, 6-6, 215, Sr.)
While no Kansas State players were named to the preseason teams, Wildcat forward Xavier Sneed did receive an honorable mention – leaving him with a bit of a chip on his shoulder going into the year.
“Y’all done reallly (sic) woke up a savage,” he tweeted after the announcements. “It’s up for all y’all.”
The rest of the honorable mentions included: Kristian Doolittle (Oklahoma), Yor Anei (Oklahoma State), Matt Coleman (Texas), Chris Clarke (Texas Tech), Davide Moretti (Texas Tech), Jahmi’us Ramsey (Texas Tech), Derek Culver (West Virginia)