Wakarusa-area house fire under investigation

SHAWNEE CO., Kan. (WIBW) - Flames forced a family out of their home in southern Shawnee County.

The Shawnee Heights Fire Dept. was called just before 6:30 p.m. Thursday to 1083 SW Jordan road, which is just west of Hwy. 75 in the Wakarusa area.

Fire officials said a couple who lived there - and their pets - got out unhurt. However, fire officials say the house is considered about a 50 percent loss.

The cause of the fire is not officially know, but authorities say it was likely caused by an electrical issue. The Kansas Fire Marshal will be assisting in the investigation.

In addition to Shawnee Heights Fire, firefighters from MTAA, the 190th Air National Guard, and Auburn all responded, along with AMR.