WIBW-TV assailant accused of "brutal attack" on corrections officer

Ray Miles (Source: Shawnee Co. Dept of Corrections)
By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- The man locked up following his attack at the WIBW-TV studios in 2012 and who was set to be released in weeks could end up in prison a lot longer after what the Shawnee Co. Dept. of Corrections described as a "brutal attack" on a corrections officer.

According to the Corrections Dept., an officer was distributing a cordless phone for inmates to use during a lock down on July 31 when she asked Ray Anthony Miles to give it back so another inmate could use it. That's when, a DOC spokesperson says, the 55-year-old Miles "violently attacked her."

Investigators say Miles didn't stop until other officers arrived to intervene.

The officer, who was identified as Corrections Specialist Kourtney Flynn, suffered multiple injuries to her head and face and was taken to the hospital for treatment. She is currently on leave and will remain so until she has fully recovered.

The Sheriff's Office has launched an investigation into the incident, in conjunction with the Shawnee Co. Dept. of Corrections' internal investigators.

Miles came to the station just after 9 am May 23rd, 2012, saying he had a complaint against the Veterans Administration. When news director Jon Janes told him the news department could not help him, Miles left, but returned a short time later, breaking through the front door with a heavy lamp and running into the building.

Miles confronted Janes in a hallway knocking him against a wall. Sales manager Roger Brokke along with Janes and several other employees then tackled Miles and held him for Topeka Police. While on the floor, Miles pulled a knife from his pocket and stabbed two employees.

Miles was convicted on three counts of aggravated battery, plus multiple other charges. After serving his first prison sentence, he was released to the Shawnee Co. jail in November 2018 to serve a one year sentence on a misdemeanor charge.