Faulty space heater inside RV, cause of NE Burgess house fire

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) — Topeka Fire Department believe a faulty space heater was the cause of a northeast Topeka house fire.

Authorities say a person driving by the home in the 500 block of NE Burgess Street alerted the home owner about the fire.

Once on scene, fire crews found an RV in the backyard fully engulfed.

Fire officials say the RV fire then spread to the house and up into the attic.

Topeka Fire say there were dogs inside the home, but they aren't sure if they made it out.

A woman inside the home was able to make it out safe.

Topeka Fire says a faulty space heater being used inside the RV was the cause of the fire.

Damage is estimated at $77,500.