TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Over 1,200 dogs are coming to Topeka this month!
Topeka is hosting the annual Capital City Classic, the largest cluster of dog shows in the country. The shows will be held at the Stormont Vail Events Center from August 14 to August 25.
The shows are free and so is parking at the Events Center, making the events a great way for dog lovers to spend their time.
The Classic's presence is also enjoyed by Visit Topeka because of the activity it brings to town. Over 500 hotel room nights are anticipated to be booked along with more than $3,000 spent in the area.
“Topeka is the perfect location to host dog shows," says Mike Bell, the Vice President of Visit Topeka. "We are centrally located with easy access to major routes heading both east-west and north-south,” Bell said. “And we have an active local base in the area who love to bring these shows to our city.”
The Topeka Kennel Club has hosted shows for nearly 70 years and has created the Capital City Classic with support from kennel clubs around Kansas.
- August 16 -- Professional handling class; American Kennel Club judge training
- August 18 -- Toy Dog Group
- August 19 to 22 -- All-breed shows and specialties. August 20 shows are for dogs shown by their owners.
- August 22 -- Break day, no shows.
- August 24 -- Toy Dog Group
- August 25-28 -- All-breed shows, specialties and obedience competition. August 26 includes an American Kennel Club sanctioned match for puppies, after Best in Show.
- August 27-28 -- American Kennel Club Basic Judging Institute and Junior Showmanship. August 27 shows are for dogs shown by their owners.