TFD battles four weekend fires

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- The Topeka Fire Department responded to four fires over the weekend, one being suspicious.

The first fire happened around 12:30 a.m. Saturday in an apartment building located at 4420 SW 34th Street. Fire crews say the heavy smoke and flames were accidental and could have been caused by cigarette smoking.

The occupants of apartment #12, where the fire started, escaped without injury. The estimated total dollar loss is $40,000.

On Saturday evening, fire crews responded to 507 NE Paramore Street just after 9 p.m. and found a vacant house on fire. TFD says the cause of the fire was electrical. The house has an estimated $4,500 in damage.

On Sunday, TFD was called to another apartment complex, this time at 5991 SE 22nd Park just after 6:30 a.m.

They extinguished flames coming from a first floor apartment. The occupant was able to get out without injury. Cigarette smoking is to blame for the fire, according to TFD.

Hours later, TFD was called to a vacant house at 1401 SE Washington St. shortly after 8 a.m. They found heavy smoke and flames. They do not know the cause of the fire and say it is suspicious in nature.