Surveillance video shows suspect of police shooting moments before arrest

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) Topeka Police Lt. Chris Heaven says the man who shot at police early Thursday morning is now in custody after he was hit by gunfire in a second shootout with authorities.

He was identified as Trevon L. Brown, 23, of Topeka.

New home surveillance video shows Brown running away from police through a neighborhood, holding a gun to his head.

Police say Brown was hit in the leg several times around 9:45 a.m. after firing at officers. He was shot near the Briarwood Apartments at S.W. 32nd and MacVicar, according to officials. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation says Brown underwent surgery and is expected to recover.
Brown's first run-in with authorities happened shortly after 3 a.m. Thursday morning.

TPD says its Community Police Officers were patrolling in the 2000 Blk. of SW 33rd just before 3 a.m. to address vehicle burglaries when they spotted a suspicious person in the area.

According to police, officers attempted to make contact and that's when the suspect, who was wearing a white coat, baseball hat and a back pack ran.

A few minutes later, police say they saw the suspect running into an apartment complex at 32nd and MacVicar. He then fled again and they began to pursue the man after he refused to stop.

The suspect shot at officers as they closed in on him, according to TPD. Two officers returned fire and took cover.

The pair of officers were not hurt and Lt. Heaven did not say if the suspect sustained any injuries in the first incident.

At the time, the suspect was described as a man in his 20's with slightly longer hair.

Other responding officers quickly set up a perimeter around the area and continued to look for the suspect for multiple counts of Aggravated Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer.

The second run in with police happened at around 9:45 a.m. when officers noticed a suspicious person near 32nd and MacVicar. When they tried to make contact he ran and jumped the fence to the Briarwood Apartments. Once in the parking lot, officers say he shot at officers, and three officers returned fire striking the suspect.

AMR transported the suspect to a local hospital with what is believed to be nonlife threatening injuries. No officers were injured in the two incidents.

As part of standard procedure all five officers who fired their guns will be placed on administrative leave until the KBI or other agencies can investigate the incident.

Topeka Public Schools spokesperson Misty Kruger says the Jardine Campus was on lockdown from 9:47 a.m. to 10:13 a.m. Thursday.