Witness: Accused killer thought world 'out to get him'

Anthony Darcy (Shawnee Co. Dept of Corrections)
By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Anthony N. Darcy had a dark view of the world, the girlfriend of the man Darcy is charged with murdering testified Wednesday, the third day of Darcy's trial.

Darcy "felt that a lot of people around him were out to get him," Cristina Decker testified. "The world wasn't a nice place." Darcy was upset about the thefts of a trailer and a vehicle as well as a problem he was having with the city water department, Decker testified.

Darcy, of Topeka, is charged with premeditated first-degree murder of Stephen Matthew Snyder; aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; and aggravated endangering of a child younger than 18, according to court records.

In 2017, Decker and Snyder, 36, who had been in a relationship more than two years, were looking for a bigger house to be a home for their blended family of three children in a better neighborhood. On March 23, 2017, Decker met Darcy when she looked at his home at 3031 S.W. 33rd after she found it on Craigslist.

The couple and their children toured Darcy's house and liked it, and the sale-by-owner of the house progressed with the help of a realtor, a go-between who would handle the paperwork but not represent either Darcy or Decker and Snyder, Decker testified.

"We were getting along and (Darcy) seemed interested in the purchase," Decker said. In phone calls, conversations between Decker and Darcy were pleasant, she said.

Twice Darcy and the couple signed an agreement allowing Darcy to live in his home for two two-week stints,and the buyers would have access to the houseas long as they contacted Darcy before coming over.

When the second two-week agreement allowing Darcy to remain in the house surfaced, Decker asked if the unlimited-access by the buyers was part of the agreement, she said. Decker wanted to paint three bedrooms in the new house for the children, she said.

Darcy became upset.

"I'm not going to let you have access to the house whenever your want," Darcy told Decker, adding she couldn't paint the house. "His demeanor was very unpleasant. He was unhappy, he was angry with me."

Decker, who didn't like the way Darcy treated her, told Snyder she wanted out of the deal with Darcy, she testified. Decker was upset with Darcy for "the way he treated me, (that) I was less than," she said.

Decker didn't want to deal with Darcy any more, and Snyder, "a very calm, gentle man," agreed to handle Darcy, she said.

In a compromise, the buyers could enter the house, but they couldn't paint the rooms, Decker said.

The closing on the house was on April 27, 2017, but Decker wouldn't sign the contract until she had a key in hand to her home, Decker testified. The realtor got the key and gave it to Decker, then she and Snyder signed the contract.

On Wednesday, locksmith William May testified that Darcy hired him to re-key the doors to his home on May 1.

Darcy "said the lady who bought the house was crazy, and he wanted to have the locks changed," May said Darcy told him. Darcy didn't want
Decker to come into his house any more, May testified.

On May 1, the day of the shooting, Darcy called Snyder to say it was OK for Snyder to come to the house about 6 p.m. that day, according to earlier testimony.

When Cristina Decker arrived at the southwest Topeka home of Darcy on May 1, 2017, police cars were everywhere. She told her daughter to stay in the vehicle, and officers wouldn't give her clear answers about what happened at the home and Snyder were buying, Decker said.

At 5:30 p.m. that day, Snyder had called Decker to say he would go to the house to help her. Snyder's 8-year-old son, Landon, was with his father.

Decker spotted the boy, who was with police, and asked him what happened.

"He said, 'He (Darcy) killed my daddy," Decker said.

"I comforted him, and I tried really hard to call (Landon's) family," Decker said, crying. "He needed them because I was just the step-mom."

Decker said the boy blamed her.

Darcy was mad at Snyder, the boy told Decker.

"Then (Darcy) pulled a gun out and shot my daddy," Decker said Landon told her.

Police handcuffed Darcy in the front yard of the S.W. 33rd Street house.
It is expected that Darcy will contend he acted in self-defense when he fatally shot Snyder, Darcy's defense attorney said before the trial.

On Wednesday, Dr. Charles Glenn, who was the Shawnee County Coroner in 2017, testified Snyder was struck in the torso by three gunshots, one of which wouldn't have been survivable, and the other two were potentially lethal.

Glenn testified via Skype from New Zealand, where he moved to be a coroner in that area. When Glenn needed to examine a report to respond to a question, an attorney walked to the screen to hold up the report to the camera mounted on the monitor. Glenn found the answer to the question.

Snyder was shot by Darcy as he fled from the front door of the 3031 S.W. 33rd Street house. Snyder died at the scene.