Officials identify man who shot and killed Sedgwick Co. Deputy

Published: Sep. 16, 2018 at 9:56 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office has identified the man who shot and killed Deputy Robert Kunze, 41, Sunday as Robert C. Greeson, 29. Greeson also died in that shooting.

Kunze was responding to a report of a suspicious person with another deputy at 1:18 p.m. Sunday in the 5300 block of North 295th Street, west of Wichita. Easter said two people reported seeing a suspicious person in a black truck around one of their vehicles and two ATV-type vehicles.

Easter said after the call was dispatched, the two people followed the person as he left.

Deputy Kunze was traveling westbound on 21st Street when he arrived around 1:42 p.m. to see the black truck with its hood open and another black truck in front of it. The two people who reported the person were in the second vehicle.

Sheriff Easter said Deputy Kunze made contact with the suspect, patted him down and found a 40 caliber handgun. Easter said he put the handgun aside and began to handcuff the suspect when a fight began. Easter said while deputies know Kunze's service weapon was fired, they are waiting on ballistics information to determine if the 40 caliber handgun was fired.

Easter said Deputy Kunze was shot once in his torso above his vest and the suspect was shot twice - once in his torso and again at his waist.

At 1:48 p.m., Sheriff Easter said Kunze pushed his emergency button to alert others that he was in trouble. Easter said deputies could hear him say he'd been shot.

Just a minute later at 1:49 p.m., Easter said the second deputy responding to the call arrived. That deputy made contact with the two people who witnessed the incident who were hiding behind a vehicle. Easter said the two told the deputy there had been shots fired.

The second deputy found the 40 caliber handgun and moved it away to safety, handcuffed the suspect who was lying face down and began rendering first aid to Deputy Kunze. Neither were responsive.

Sheriff Easter said another person came to the scene who has training as an EMT and tried to help Deputy Kunze before EMS arrived. Deputy Kunze went to Via Christi where Easter said he was declared dead at 2:55 p.m.

Sheriff Easter says his office does not have the identification on the suspect at this time but said the suspect died on the scene.

The sheriff said his office believes the suspect was involved in three other incidents in the past 24 hours and had a stolen 40 caliber handgun.

The first incident, Easter said, was a call Wichita Police made at 12:55 a.m. Sunday. It was a report of a stolen silver Dodge Easter said was possibly taken in an aggravated robbery case.

The second incident, Easter said, was at 9:22 a.m. Sunday and involved Deputy Kunze. Easter said Kunze responded to the 3300 block of West MacArthur for a larceny from a vehicle case. In that case, Easter said, a 40 caliber handgun was stolen.

The third incident, Easter said, was at 5:50 p.m. Sunday where Cheney Police recovered the silver Dodge in the 4000 block of South 327th Street West.

Easter said his office is currently operating under the theory that the suspect is involved in all three.

Sheriff Easter said there is only dash camera video from the time of the incident but because of the placement of the other vehicles on scene, he does not know if the video will show anything. Easter said his office is working to download that video.

Easter said all witnesses are cooperating with the investigation.

Easter says Deputy Kunze will be remembered for his smile, contagious laugh and ability to engage with anyone and everyone in conversation.