One person dead, another hurt after police discover a gas leak inside home
One woman is dead and another person is hurt after a Topeka home filled with natural gas Friday night, and Topeka Police are investigating the case as a suspicious death.
TPD were called to the home in the 900 block of SW Warren just after 8 p.m. Friday after someone reported smelling gas in the area.
When they arrived, officers forced entry into the home and found a woman dead inside. Another person was also inside the home and taken to the hospital in serious condition.
Detectives were on scene for several hours, as well as representatives from Kansas Gas. TPD could not say what started the leak, but they were able to contain it once it was discovered.
Responding officers witnessed suspicious circumstances, so the home was secured and crime scene officers and detectives are now investigating.
The woman's name will not be released until next of kin is notified. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call the Topeka Police Criminal Investigation Bureau at (785) 234-0007 or Shawnee Co. Crime Stoppers at (785) 234-0007.
This is a developing story. We’ll update it as soon as more information is released.