Forget lawyers, Miles wants a law student to help in attempted murder trial

Ray Miles (Source: Shawnee Co. Dept of Corrections)
By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A Shawnee County Jail inmate charged with the severe beating of a county corrections officer and who is acting as his own attorney was appointed a stand-by attorney on Thursday to aid him in his case.

But Ray Anthony Miles said he didn't want a public defender but instead wanted a Washburn University Law School student to be his stand-by attorney.

Ossmann told Miles that law school students are restricted to handling misdemeanor cases. Miles, 56, is charged with attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery in events that occurred July 31, according to Shawnee County District Court records. Those charges are felonies.

Ossmann appointed the public defender's office to represent Miles, who didn't specify why he wanted a law school student as his stand-by attorney. Miles was represented by public defenders when he was convicted of a series of charges in 2012.

Miles then asked the judge on Thursday how the county corrections department could order him to be placed in "the hole" -- how he could be ordered to be placed in isolation for 120 days -- when he faces criminal charges in the attack on the corrections officer.

The judge told Miles those are two "distinct proceedings."

The charges are a criminal proceeding in a district court, and placement in isolation is a disciplinary proceeding in the corrections facility, Ossmann said.

Miles next is to appear in court on Oct. 17.

On July 31, corrections officer Kourtney Flynn was distributing cordless phones to inmates to use while on lockdown, and when she asked Miles to give back the phone to be passed to another inmate, he attacked her, jail officials said.

Flynn suffered injuries to her face and head and was taken to a hospital to be treated.

When the corrections officer was beaten on July 31, Miles was serving the remaining 12 months of his sentences tied to his convictions in 2012 in the attack of four employees at WIBW-TV.

On Nov. 8, 2012, a Shawnee County jury convicted Miles of three counts of aggravated battery and one count of making a criminal threat -- all felonies -- and misdemeanor counts of battery and criminal damage to property.

Miles was sentenced to eight years and four months in prison.

Shortly before the six convictions were read in 2012, Miles voiced his displeasure with the legal defense he received during that case.

"I told the court I didn't want (that attorney) representing me no more,"
Miles said at that time. "I don't know why the court let this happen when I said I didn't want him representing me no more."

In that case, Miles' defense attorney was a public defender.

Before the closing statements during that trial, Miles tried to exit the court when he became disgruntled with court proceedings. Corrections officers stopped him from leaving the courtroom and cuffed his hands outside the sight of jurors in the hallway.

On May 23, 2012, Miles had gone to the station to request a story be done on his problem with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
After being told the station wouldn’t do a story and initially leaving the building, Miles re-entered, forced his way back into the locked lobby, shoved the station’s news director and ultimately had to be subdued by four station employees, all of whom were injured in the fracas.