Man dies from injuries sustained in July 8 house fire

(WIBW/Grant Stephens)
By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- The 76-year-old man who was badly burned when an explosion sparked a massive blaze at his Topeka home earlier this month has died.

According to the Topeka Fire Dept., Vernon Fisher passed away last week at a Kansas City hospital.

Fisher had been trapped inside his home, 235 NW Knox Ave., on July 8 after the fire broke out. A neighbor heard him yelling for help and raced to help him escape. Smoke from the blaze could be seen high over Topeka.

Investigators determined the fire was most likely an accident, attributing it to a natural gas leak inside the house.