Man, 83, faces trial in shooting death of home buyer

Anthony Darcy (Shawnee Co. Dept of Corrections)
By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Prospective jurors were being questioned during jury selection on Monday in the trial of Anthony N. Darcy, who is charged in the shooting death of a man who was purchasing Darcy's home in 2017.

Darcy, 83,of Topeka, is charged with premeditated first-degree murder of Stephen Matthew Snyder, 36; aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; and aggravated endangering of a child younger than 18, according to court records.

Darcy is being tried before Shawnee County District Court Judge David Debenham.

On August 8, Darcy was found to be competent to be tried based on an oral report. It was the last in a series of competency exams that Darcy had received.

In October 2018, a report was issued by the Larned State Security Hospital, which found Darcy to be competent to stand trial.

In August 2017, a competency evaluation showed Darcy was competent.

However, in December 2017, a court-ordered evaluation showed Darcy wasn't competent.

When Snyder was shot, one bullet entered his left chest, passed through his heart and both lungs, and exited under his right arm, a coroner earlier testified. That wound would have been sufficient enough to cause Snyder's death, the coroner said. Snyder also suffered two more gunshot wounds.

When tried, Darcy will contend he acted in self-defense when he fatally shot Snyder, Darcy's defense attorney said in December.

Snyder was shot on May 1, 2017, outside Darcy’s house at 3031 S.W. 33rd. Snyder was the would-be buyer of Darcy's southwest Topeka home.
On the day of the shooting, Darcy called Snyder to say it was OK for Snyder to come to the house about 6 p.m. that day.

Snyder and an unidentified person had closed on the house on April 27, 2017, on Darcy's house, but Snyder had allowed Darcy to continue to live in the house for two weeks with a move-out day by May 10, 2017.

The buyers were to have access to the house as long as they contacted Darcy before coming over.

Snyder's then 8-year-old son was with his father when he was fatally wounded.