Lawsuit: Kansas girl sickened by E. coli at Emporia Pizza Ranch
A Valley Center girl is among several people who fell ill after eating at Pizza Ranch locations in the Midwest. The company says 13 cases of E. coli were reported, eight of them required hospitalization.
In a lawsuit filed in Kansas, the father of a seven-year-old girl says she was hospitalized for weeks after eating at the Pizza Ranch location in Emporia on January 31, 2016.
According to that lawsuit, the girl - who is identified only by her initials, S.S. - suffered Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS).
Her father says S.S. started feeling sick a few days after the meal. Things got progressively worse, and she was admitted to the hospital on February 12 where she developed the HUS and required intensive care.
He says she remains on various medications for high blood pressure and other ailments due to the illness.
The lawsuit seeks more than $75,000 in damages.
Pizza Ranch provided this response to the lawsuit:
The company sent out this statement earlier regarding the outbreak: