Kansas kids awarded for environmentally conscious art
Thirteen Kansas kids were recognized as Calendar Contest winners Wednesday.
One student from each grade was selected to represent the whole state in Keep It Clean Kansas' annual competition.
The students submitted art pieces promoting environmentally friendly practices and a clean, healthy Kansas.
Two local students were recognized in the reception: third-grader Sawyer Serna of Osage City Elementary School, and Layla Schwabauer - a fifth grader from Marlett Elementary in Manhattan.
Lauren Coomes from Pittsburg's Saint Mary's Colgan High School was chosen as the 2019 cover winner.
- Kindergarten – Shay Peters, St. Paul Lutheran Church & School, Cheney
- 1st Grade – Aaliyah Petz, Southwest Elementary School, Pratt
- 2nd Grade – Lily Bombardier, Morse Elementary School, Overland Park
- 3rd Grade – Sawyer Serna, Osage City Elementary School, Osage City
- 4th Grade – Keyla Anguilar Ambriz, Gardiner Elementary School, Wichita
- 5th Grade – Layla Schwabauer, Marlett Elementary School, Manhattan
- 6th Grade – Irisa Laongbua, St. Paul Lutheran Church & School, Leavenworth
- 7th Grade – Whitlee Satterlee, Winfield Middle School, Winfield
- 8th Grade – Hailee Varone, St. Mary’s Colgan High School, Pittsburg
- 9th Grade – Lauren Coomes, St. Mary’s Colgan High School, Pittsburg – 2019 Cover Winner
- 10th Grade – Marlon Faudoa, Eureka Junior/Senior High School, Eureka
- 11th Grade – Devon D. Goins, Independence Bible School, Independence
- 12th Grade – Ariel Stamback, Cheney High School, Cheney
Keep It Clean Kansas is a Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment program.