Generator and furnace responsible for busy day for fire crews

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A generator is responsible for a fire at a south Topeka home, the latest in a busy day for Topeka fire crews.

Around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, crews responded to a structure fire on southwest Murrow Ct.

According to the fire department, someone was refueling a generator outside while it was turned on.

Firefighters saw smoke and flames coming from the backside of the one story home on Murrow Ct. when they arrived. They attacked and contained it fairly quickly.

A person inside made it out with only minor injuries. Fire officials say the fire created $30,000 worth of damage.

"At least this generator was outside,” Battalion Chief Mark Brannock said. “You got to make sure they're outside, some people put them in the garage and that's very dangerous, but it appears that maybe the generator was running when he fueled it."

A preliminary investigation shows a fire earlier Tuesday at a home on northeast Wabash Avenue was caused by a furnace.

Three people who lived there escaped unhurt, but their family dog died.

Fire officials say it brings a safety reminder as you fire up your furnace for the season.

"Make sure you get them serviced and everything works properly,” Brannock said. “If something is out of the ordinary, don't hesitate to call the fire department. That's what we're here for."

The fire on Wabash caused $45,000.

Fire officials say no smoke alarms sounded at either home.