Man dies after fire at local nursing home

Published: Dec. 1, 2019 at 11:20 AM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

One man is dead after a fire at Rose Villa, a local nursing care facility.

The Topeka Fire Department responded to reports of a fire at 2075 SW Fillmore St just after 10 p.m. Saturday.

When they arrived at Rose Villa, they found smoke in the hallways. A nurse led them to a victim who was suffering from life-threatening injuries from the fire.

Fire officials say the man died over the weekend. He has been identified as 64-year-old Alvie McCluskey.

TFD says the fire was contained to the room of origin and was put out on their arrival.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental. It is believed to have been started by careless use of smoking materials.

There was no reported damage to the building. However contents loss is estimated at $150,000.

American Medical Response and the Kansas State Fire Marshal were also on scene.

Working smoke detectors were found inside the building.

Latest News

Latest News