Advertisement

Smoking materials blamed for Topeka house fire

(WIBW)
Published: Sep. 4, 2017 at 4:29 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Fire investigators believe improper disposal of smoking materials led to a fire at Topeka home early Monday.

Topeka firefighters responded just after 4 a.m. to 7316 SW 24th St.

Fire officials say a smoke alarm alerted the family of five, who was sleeping, and they all got out unhurt. One of the residents was using a garden hose to try to keep the flames from spreading when firefighters arrived.

Fire officials say the blaze started around floor pots on the front porch. They say most damage was to the outside of the home, though they did need to ventilate smoke from inside.

Damage is estimated at $20,000.