Apartment house evacuated after gunfire hits gas meter

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- An apartment house was hit by gunfire, striking a gas meter and forcing the evacuation of the residents inside.

Just before midnight Friday evening, Topeka Police were called to the house in the 1300 block of SW Western for the report of gunshots.

When they arrived, they found the occupants from the apartments had evacuated when they could hear gas leaking from a meter.

Fire crews and police helped those inside stay warm because temperatures outside were in the 20’s.

The Kansas Gas Service was called in to fix the leaky meter.

Officers are investigating the shots fired, but couldn’t provide any other details.

No one was hurt, and the residents were allowed back inside about an hour later.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 234-0007.