TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Several roofing contractors have been doing unregistered work throughout 2019.
Ten roofing contractors have been fined for violations of consumer protection laws through the first half of the year, according to Attorney General Derek Schmidt. 4R Construction Company, LLC of Shawnee County was among those fined.
Schmidt says they advertised or did work without registering with the attorney general's office, or violated the Kansas Roofing Registration Act in some other way.
Roofing Contractors Fined:
- Boren's Roofing, Inc.; Greenwood County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-6
- Marcos Villela, d/b/a KC Remodeling, LLC, d/b/a KC Remodeling; Johnson County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-823
- Russ Hensley d/b/a Russ Hensley Construction; Clark County District Court; 2019-CV-10
- Apex Remodeling and Contracting, LLC; Sedgwick County District Court; 2019-CV-605-OT
- Marc Krier d/b/a Marc Krier Construction; Clark County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-14
- Victor Torres d/b/a Torres Roofing; Cherokee County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-28
- Balboa Restoration & Renovation, LLC; Johnson County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-2451
- Wanderson C. De Araujo d/b/a Frank Construction; Smith County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-7
- Dustin Welsh d/b/a Phoenix Framing, LLC; Anderson County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-11
- 4R Construction Company, LLC; Shawnee County District Court; Case No. 2019-CV-383
In the settlements for these violations, all of the roofers have had to pay fines and are required to comply with the KRRA for all future roofing work. Full copies of the judgments can be found here
People should ensure that roofing contractors are registered and in good standing before hiring them to do any work. That information can be confirmed here