1 injured in SE Topeka apartment fire

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Fire officials say a woman injured in a southeast Topeka apartment fire is expected to recovery.

Shawnee Co. dispatch said they received a call just after 8 p.m. Wednesday, reporting a fire in a second-floor apartment at Madison Street Apartments, 600 SE Madison. They said another caller reported seeing flames coming from the apartment.

Topeka Fire Dept. shift commander Chris Herrera said additional crews were called as a precaution, since the apartment building is several stories tall, and many residents use wheelchairs and would need assistance getting out. However, he said a closed door kept smoke and flames from spreading beyond the one apartment, and residents were able to shelter in place, rather than evacuate.

Herrera also said a sprinkler in the apartment got a head start on putting out the flames before crews arrived. A woman was found in the apartment, and crews had to carry her out. Her condition was initially thought to be serious, but she is now expected to be okay.

Herrera said the fire is believed to have started accidentally, when an item fell on the stove while the woman was cooking.

Topeka Fire officials say the apartment structure suffered $4,000 in damage, with another $1,000 in content losses.