Large house that left Topeka home in cinders found to be accidental

Published: Nov. 20, 2023 at 6:46 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - A large house fire that could be seen from at least a mile away and reduced a Topeka home to ashes was found to be an accident.

Just after 6 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 20, emergency crews were called to 1427 SW Tyler St. with reports of a large house fire.

When crews with the Topeka Fire Department arrived, they found heavy smoke and flame bursting from the home and began a defensive attack.

13 NEWS crews headed to the scene could see the fire from at least one mile away.

Crews battle a fire in the 1400 block of Tyler on Nov. 20, 2023.
Crews battle a fire in the 1400 block of Tyler on Nov. 20, 2023.(WIBW/Phil Anderson)

While most of the external fire was extinguished by 6:40 a.m., 13 NEWS crews on the scene observed firefighters continuing to battle the blaze inside the home.

Crews said the fire was kept contained to the home and a search of the building found no occupants had been inside.

Further investigation found that the fire had been accidentally started and cost the owners about $20,000 in damages. No injuries were reported as a result. Working smoke detectors were not found in the home.