Mattress fire early Tuesday evening damages East Topeka home
TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - A mattress fire early Tuesday evening damaged a two-story home in East Topeka, authorities said.
The blaze was reported around 5:00 p.m. Tuesday at a home at 1101 S.E. Lime.
Topeka Fire Department officials said at the scene that light smoke was seen coming from the residence when crews arrived.
The smoke intensified after firefighters began fighting the blaze, with thick smoke coming out of an upstairs window on the south side of the residence.
Fire officials said the fire was believed to have started on a mattress in the rear portion of the home’s first floor, bedroom.
An investigation found that no one was inside at the time of the fire and the it was later determined that the home was vacant.
Further investigation found that there was about $10,000 worth of damage done to the structure and $5,000 worth of contents loss.
No working smoke detectors were found inside the home.
Copyright 2022 WIBW. All rights reserved.