18-year-old charged with attempted capital murder in Olathe East shooting

Jaylon Elmore was charged with attempted capital murder on Saturday.
Jaylon Elmore was charged with attempted capital murder on Saturday.(Olathe East Varsity Football Page)
Published: Mar. 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OLATHE, KS (KCTV) -- An 18-year-old student has been arrested and charged in Friday’s shooting that wounded two people at Olathe East High School.

Jaylon Elmore was charged with attempted capital murder on Saturday.

A probable cause statement said Elmore tried to shoot and kill school resource officer Erik Clark.

Clark was one of two individuals wounded in the shooting. A school administrator was also wounded in the shooting, but there’s been no official charge announced for that yet according to court records.

According to Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe, Elmore used an untraceable “ghost gun.”

“It’s a way to get around some of the local, state and federal regulations,” Howe said.

A ghost gun is a firearm that is assembled by a person. In this case, Elmore got a kit and put together the gun himself.

The gun does not have a serial number and does not require a person to go through a vetting process or background check in order to get it. A ghost gun was recently used in a shooting in Lenexa, according to Howe. He is frustrated with this and wants legislation to stop ghost guns.

“Individuals who shouldn’t have firearms are getting them,” Howe said.

Elmore was booked into the Johnson County jail just after 11 p.m. on Friday.

No first appearance has been announced for him, as Elmore remains hospitalized following Friday’s shooting.

Olathe East administrator Kaleb Stoppel and Olathe East school resource officer Erik Clark were wounded in the shooting, but released on Friday and are expected to recover.

Clark has been a school resource officer at Olathe East for seven years. His actions are being credited for saving lives on Friday.

He was the first to report the shooting and applied a tourniquet on himself before help arrived.

A $1 million bond has been listed in Johnson County jail records.