UPDATE: Escaped sex offender John Colt captured in Utah after 3 months on the run

Escaped sex offender John Colt has been captured
Escaped sex offender John Colt has been captured(Pawnee County Attorney Douglas W. McNett)
Published: Sep. 28, 2021 at 10:07 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - UPDATE 1 p.m. Sept. 28: According to U.S. Marshal for the District of Kansas Ronald Miller, Wayne County, Utah authorities were notified of Colt’s presence there by a citizen who observed a wanted poster and reported tips to the Sheriffs office..

Colt had been camping on U.S. government land, and as the Wayne County Sheriffs were organizing to arrest Colt, they noticed Colt passing their location on his motorcycle. A brief high-speed chase ensued before Colt pulled over and was arrested.

In June, Colt escaped Larned State Hospital in Kansas by creating a staff ID badge and pretending to be a doctor. He then passed by five secure doors on his way out the gates. Before his capture about 800 miles from where he escaped, Colt had help, even buying a motorcycle, Miller said.

Miller said Colt was camping on government land in Utah and the U.S. Marshals were tipped off by someone who thought they saw Colt and called the local sheriff’s office.

“A citizen saw a person who the citizen believed to be Colt, in Utah, and notified the Wayne County, Utah,” Sheriff’s Office,” Miller said.

Miller said the observant citizen who reported seeing Colt is a hero.

“The citizen who turned him in is the real hero here,” Miler said. “Involved citizenry is invaluable to local law enforcement.

Escaped sex offender John Freeman Colt, who walked out of the Sexual Predator Treatment Program of Larned State Hospital on June 30, has been captured in Utah.

Investigators believe Colt, 42, planned his escape for several months, obtaining a replica of a staff ID badge and dress clothes. The U.S. Marshals Service said Colt was able to convince a worker that he was a new doctor and needed help finding his way out of the hospital. Several hours passed before staff noticed Colt was missing.

The U.S. Marshals Service said Colt was initially sentenced to five years in state prison in December of 2001 for aggravated sexual battery, attempted rape, aggravated burglary and four counts of aggravated battery against law enforcement. Colt was required to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life and after his criminal sentence, Kansas courts deemed him “a Sexually Violent Predator at high risk to commit a future sex offense and too dangerous to be released.”

The U.S. Marshals Service said Colt was indefinitely committed and sent to the Larned State Hospital’s Sexual Predator Treatment Program in 2007, where he lived until the June 30 escape. Last week, U.S. Marshals offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to Colt’s capture.

Copyright 2021 KWCH. All rights reserved.