Advertisement

Passerby saves resident from fire at home in Northwest Topeka

Published: Mar. 31, 2021 at 11:25 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - A Topeka Fire spokesman confirmed that a passerby saved a resident from a fire Wednesday morning. Several people are being treated after the late morning blaze in Northwest Topeka. That’s according to the Topeka Fire Department.

The call came in around 10:35 AM. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke and flames coming from a large 2 story house in the 1600 block of NW Taylor. The trees and vegetative growth around the home were making it difficult for firefighters to be able to access the property.

Police and fire staged themselves across the street in the United Steel Workers parking lot.

TFD estimates that the fire caused $21,260 in damages. A cause has yet to be determined.

They say the occupant was taken to the hospital for unrelated medical issues. The two people that pulled them from the home were members of the United Steel Workers Local 307. A registered nurse also stopped at the scene to help treat the person.

”I kind of tried to check her skin a little bit to make sure she was all right,” Kerri Chilcoat said. “She was breathing fine, checked her pulse, had her talking to me, make sure she was oriented and just had her leaning against me until the ambulance gentlemen were able to get across the fence and get her in to a chair.”

This is a developing story that 13 News’ Phil Anderson is following. We’ll bring you additional updates just as soon as they become available.

House fire in Northwest Topeka
House fire in Northwest Topeka(WIBW-TV)

Copyright 2021 WIBW. All rights reserved.