Advertisement

Dog alerts homeowner to garage fire early Tuesday north of Topeka

Published: Nov. 24, 2020 at 5:44 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Dogs have been called “man’s best friend” for many years.

But on Tuesday morning just north of Topeka, a canine proved to be a pretty good fire detector, as well.

Lt. Larkin Downing, of the Soldier Township Fire Department, said a dog alerted the homeowner to a garage fire around 5 a.m. Tuesday at a residence at 921 N.W. Silverstone Road.

“He got awoke by his dog,” Downing said, “and came outside to see that his garage was on fire.”

Crews from the Soldier Township and Silver Lake fire departments responded to the blaze.

Larkin said the detached garage was fully involved in flames upon firefighters’ arrival. Two outbuildings also were damaged by the flames.

Crews made a quick knock-down on the fire, Larkin said, but not before the blaze destroyed the garage and damaged the outbuildings.

Chickens that were housed at the back area of the garage escaped uninjured.

The garage appeared to contain mostly items such as hand tools, Larkin said.

A couple of lawnmowers near the fire scene also weren’t damaged, Larkin said.

The homeowner was evaluated at the scene by medical personnel for possible smoke inhalation but refused ambulance transportation to the hospital, Larkin said.

The cause of the blaze and an estimated dollar loss weren’t immediately available.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2020 WIBW. All rights reserved.