What's left of a home hit by a tornado in Harveyville, Kan. on February 28, 2012. Photo by Eric Ives
TOPEKA, HARVEYVILLE (From 13 News) -- United Way of Greater Topeka and United Way of the Flint Hills announce that volunteers will be allowed into Harveyville, Kansas beginning Thursday for cleanup work after yesterday evening’s tornado.
Wednesday is being reserved for residents to survey their property damage and for a full damage assessment of the town to be made. Beginning March 1st, volunteers should follow the instructions below.
For ongoing updates, go to www.unitedwaytopeka.org or call 2-1-1 (United Way's 24/7 information line)
* Check in at Mission Valley School
(12913 Mission Valley Road, in Eskridge)
* Volunteer Times:
o Thursday: 9:00 am till 5:000pm
o Friday: 8:00am till 5:00pm
o Saturday: 8:00am till 5:00pm
o Sunday: Noon to 5:00pm
* Volunteers will complete liability release forms, receive wrist-bands, go through a safety briefing and be staged for transportation to Harveyville
* Organized groups with chainsaws or larger equipment will also need to report to the school each day for check-in. They will receive directions to drive into Harveyville for work assignments
* Remember to dress appropriately, including hats, gloves and close-toed shoes.
* Food and water will be available for lunch.
Monetary Donations are being collected through United Way of the Flint Hills. Donations can be made online using a credit card at www.uwfh.org and clicking the Donate Now link. Donations can be sent to United Way of the Flint Hills, Attn Harveyville Tornado Relief Fund, 702 Commercial St., Suite 2-Ej, Emporia, 66801.
Phone number is: (620) 342-7564
Prepared Food Donations:
The American Red Cross is seeking commercial food preparers, such as restaurants, to donate prepared meals to cover the needs of volunteers and residents in Harveyville. Anyone interested in helping this effort should contact the Red Cross in Topeka at (785) 234-0568. Home prepared foods or meals prepared by groups who are not licensed for commercial food preparation are not accepted.
Regarding material donations, no clothing is needed. Companies or individuals with large equipment or construction materials should call 2-1-1 to register those items. If those items are needed, you will be contacted by officials in the Emergency Operations Center in Harveyville.