Washburn Defeats Truman, Despite Weather Delays

By: Washburn Sports Information (Posted by J.B. Bauersfeld)
By: Washburn Sports Information (Posted by J.B. Bauersfeld)

TOPEKA, Kan. -- The Washburn Ichabods held off a pair of lightning delays totalling 123 minutes in a 35-24 over the Truman Bulldogs. Washburn (6-1, 6-1 MIAA) returns to action next weekend at Lindenwood.

The Ichabods scored on its opening drive of the game after electing to receive the opening kickoff and marched 75 yards in 11 plays as Mitch Buhler hit Ryan Mertz in the back of the end zone for a 7-0 lead just 3:46 into the game. Prior to scoring their touchdown, there was a 41-minute lightning delay sending everyone off the field and out of the stands in Yager Stadium.

Neither team would score again until Truman's Derek Koon kicked a 27-yard field goal with 7:07 to play in the first half to cut the Ichabods' lead to 7-3. After a three-and-out by the Ichabods, Truman took over, but on its third play of the drive, Washburn's Willie Williams picked off Conrad Schottel and returned it 43 yards for a touchdown and a 14-3 lead with 5:03 to play in the first half.

Truman (4-3, 3-3 MIAA) came right back with a 4-play drive as Garrett White scored from one yard out trimming Washburn's lead to 14-10 with 3:47 remaining in the half to wrap up the scoring in the frame.

After halftime, both teams were kept in their locker rooms with an 81 minute lightning delay prior to starting the second half. Truman received the second half kickoff but were forced to punt and Washburn's Hayden Groves scored from 12 yards out with 7:36 remaining in the third quarter pushing Washburn's lead to 21-10.

After a punt by the Bulldogs, Buhler hit Mark Fancher for a 69-yard touchdown pass and a 28-10 lead over Truman with 6:55 to play in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, White scored on a touchdown for the Bulldogs trimming the Ichabods' lead to 28-17after a 1-yard run. Washburn's next drive would stall as the Bulldogs would take over at their own 26, however Schottel threw another pick-six as Devon Connors returned his pass 36 yards for a score with 6:35 to play in the game staking Washburn to a 35-17 lead.

The Bulldogs wrapped up the scoring with 2:54 to play when Schottel scored from 1-yard out capping a 54-yard drive. Their ensuing kickoff went out of bounds and Washburn took over and ran out the clock sealing the win.

Groves led the Ichabods with 162 rushing yards on 31 carries and the one score for the Ichabods and Buhler finished 19 of 33 for 249 yards and two touchdown passes. Matt Kobbeman had six catches for 69 yards and Tore' Hurst had six catches for 62 yards.

Defensively, the Ichabods were led by Bryce Atagi who had 13 tackles with four solo stops and also had one of Washburn's four interceptions joining Williams, Connors and Jaime Myers. Jahmil Taylor had nine tackles.

Washburn finished with 455 total yards while holding the Bulldogs to 326 and recorded 22 first downs.

631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 174055061 - wibw.com/a?a=174055061
Gray Television, Inc.