OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- A total of 16 student-athletes -- seven men and nine women -- have been nominated for the 2006-07 Ken B. Jones Award as MIAA Student-Athlete of the Year.
This marks the 14th year for the award. It is named in honor of the man who served as the MIAA's first full-time commissioner for 16 years, before retiring in 1997. He passed away in May 2004.
One male and one female will be selected for the honors, with the announcement of the three men's and three women's finalists coming on May 22.
The finalists will be invited to the MIAA Awards Banquet, scheduled for May 31 in Kansas City, Mo., at the Downtown Marriott Hotel, where the winners will be announced.
An 11-member panel of athletics directors, senior women's administrators, faculty athletics representatives and sports information directors representing each school and the conference office selects the winners.
Judging is done in four areas for each nominee, 2006-07 Athletic Accomplishments, 2006-07 Academic Accomplishments, 2006-07 Campus/Community Service and Career Athletic, Academic and Service Achievements.
To be nominated, a student-athlete must have a 3.00 cumulative grade-point average as of April 1, and complete at least their junior season of eligibility in the 2006-07 season.
Northwest Missouri State football athlete Josh Lamberson and Central Missouri indoor track & field athlete Kristin Anderson won the 2005-06 awards.
• Colin Bado, junior, Missouri Southern State University, football, McKinney, Texas
• Leon Douglas, senior, Missouri Western State University, football, Kansas City, Mo.
• Ryan Meredith, senior, Pittsburg State University, football, Bartlesville, Okla.*
• T. Jay Sanderson, senior, Southwest Baptist University, cross country/track & field, Chamberlain, S.D.
• Andy Vogelsberg, senior, Emporia State University, track & field, Home, Kan.
• Ryley Westman, senior, Northwest Missouri State University, baseball, Smithville, Mo.
• Alan Yoder, senior, Fort Hays State University, track & field, Peabody, Kan.
• Bridget Brown, senior, Fort Hays State University, cross country/track & field, Scott City, Kan.
• Chelsey Kenney, junior, Southwest Baptist University, volleyball, Stockton, Mo.
• Venessa Lee, junior, Pittsburg State University, cross country/track & field, Cleveland, Mo.
• Jessica Selby, junior, Missouri Southern State University, track & field, Galena, Mo.
• Sarah Shearman, senior, Truman State University, volleyball, Manchester, Mo.*
• Michelle Stueve, junior, Emporia State University, basketball, Olpe, Kan.
• Katie Tarka, senior, University of Central Missouri, volleyball, St. Charles, Mo.
• Sarah Trowbridge, senior, Northwest Missouri State University, volleyball, Boone, Iowa
• Brooke Ubelaker, senior, Washburn University, basketball, Osborne, Kan.
* = 2005-06 Ken B. Jones Award nominees
-- MIAA --