KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The No. 6 Washburn Lady Blues advanced to their
third straight MIAA Tournament Championship game and their eighth
overall after topping No. 11 Emporia State 67-50 in the tournament
semifinals. Washburn will advance to take on No. 4 ranked Missouri
Western at 3:15 p.m., who topped Northwest Missouri in their semifinal
Washburn was led by Amanda Holmes, who scored a career-high 22 points
while recording four blocks to pace the Washburn attack. Corkey Stiger
scored 21 points with 16 coming in the first half. Stiger hit 7 of 14
from the field including a 5 of 7 performance from behind the 3-point
line. Holmes hit 10 of 11 free throws.
In the first half, Washburn led by as many as 11 as Washburn shot 45
percent from the field. However ESU outrebounded the Lady Blues 19 to
13. Adding to the Lady Blues success was them committing only two
turnovers while forcing nine Lady Hornet turnovers turning them into 10
In the second half, Washburn pushed their lead to 14 at 59-45 after
Holmes hit the second of two free throws with 9:33 remaining. ESU would
then go on a 7-0 run over the next two-plus minutes cutting the lead to
7. But the Lady Blues then would go on a 7-0 run on their own stretching
the lead back to 14 at 66-52 with 4:06 left. ESU would not get closer
than nine the rest of the way.
Brooke Ubelaker scored 13 points and started in her 130th career game
breaking the MIAA's record for games started in a career.
Washburn was 20 of 22 from the free throw line, but was outrebounded 39
to 34 by ESU.
* Washburn improved to 24-11 all-time in the MIAA Tournament and 8-3
all-time in the semifinals.
* Washburn improved to 3-0 all-time in the MIAA Tournament against
Emporia State, including a 2-0 mark in Kansas City.
* Washburn has won eight straight games in the MIAA Tournament.
* With a win over Missouri Western, the Lady Blues will win their third
straight MIAA Tournament Championship and their sixth overall.
* Washburn improved to 33-39 all-time against Emporia State.
* Washburn has won 13 of the last 18 games in the series.
* Washburn has lost the last two meetings against Missouri Western this
season. Washburn has won 10 of the last 12 meetings overall.