#20 Ichabods Top Blue Tigers On The Road

By: WU, posted by Kinch O'Kelley
By: WU, posted by Kinch O'Kelley

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- The Washburn Ichabods won a battle between the universities from the capital cities from Missouri and Kansas as they defeated Lincoln 51-18 in Reed Stadium. Washburn returns to action next Saturday when they host Truman at 1 p.m. in Yager Stadium.

Box Score here: http://wusports.com/custompages/football/2012fb/12fbwu06.htm

The Ichabods (5-1, 5-1 MIAA) led 16-4 at the break in a strange first half which saw the Blue Tigers (0-6, 0-6 MIAA) record all points from a safety and from a blocked two-point conversion returned for a touchdown. Washburn took the early lead on a 23-yard field goal by Jeremy Linn with 5:09 to play in the first quarter. After a punt by the Blue Tigers, Washburn was pinned at its own one and Kameron Stewart was tackled in the endzone as the Ichabods gave up the safety with 14:54 to play in the second quarter.

On the ensuing free kick, Aaron Hummert kicked the ball to the Lincoln 20 and recovered it to take back possession. Mitch Buhler hit Matt Kobbeman on a 20-yard touchdown pass with 13:31 to play in the half leading 9-4 after the PAT was returned for a 2-point conversion by Herman Hopson after it was blocked by Robert Fenton.

Neither team would score until Joel Piper entered the game and hit Ryan Mertz on a 14-yard touchdown pass with 6:44 remaining in the half putting Washburn up 16-4.

Lincoln too the opening kickoff of the second half and marched 79 yards in seven plays to cut Washburn's lead to 16:11 with 11:56 to play in the third quarter. Washburn took its next possession and matched the Blue Tigers with a touchdown of its own when Buhler connected with Jordan Hart on a 23-yard touchdown completion stretching Washburn's lead to 23-11 with 9:47 left in the third quarter.

After a three-and-out for the Blue Tigers, Washburn marched 40 yards in six plays to go up 30-11 when Buhler hit Mertz for his second touchdown of the day with 5:49 to play in the third quarter.

The Blue Tigers added a score to make cut the Washburn lead to 12 at 30-18 with 2:29 to play in the third quarter.

The Ichabods scored on the first play of the fourth quarter when Hayden Groves scored on a 1-yard run putting Washburn up 37-18. After another Blue Tiger punt, Washburn's Mark Fancher scored on a shovel pass from Piper with 11:20 to play in the game on a 14-yard completion.

The teams traded drives and then Brit Dewey scored from 26-yards out to wrap up the scoring with 4:04 remaining.

Washburn had 115 yards rushing and three touchdowns and the Ichabods had 256 yards passing with Buhler going 8 of 16 for 124 yards and three touchdowns and Piper finished 9 of 16 for 132 yards and two touchdowns.

Kobbeman had four catches for 86 yards and one score to lead the Ichabods. Hart finished with three catches for 68 yards and a score and Mertz had three catches with two for touchdowns and 31 yards receiving.

Defensively Ryan Macken had 14 tackles with a tackle for loss and Willie Williams had 11 tackles with an interception he returned 55 yards. jayveri Kelly had two sacks and Corey Walker had one. Jason Seibel also had an interception for Washburn.

The Ichabods finished with 371 total yards and 24 first downs yet trailed 37:34 to 22:26 in time of possession. Washburn was 1 of 9 on third down conversions in the game and 2 of 2 on fourth down. The Ichabods did score on all seven of its red zone scoring chances.

Thanks to Gene Cassell for the photo.

631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 172990141 - wibw.com/a?a=172990141
Gray Television, Inc.