- 12 full-size graham crackers
- 1½ cups unsalted butter (no margarine!)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 2 cups sliced toasted almonds*
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate
1. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and arrange graham crackers on the foil.
2. In a small sauce pan, place butter and brown sugar and stir together; bring to a boil, then remove from heat and immediately stir in almond extract.
3. Pour this mixture evenly over graham crackers.
4. Sprinkle almonds evenly over top.
5. Bake in preheated 400 degree F. oven for 4-6 minutes, just until bubbly.
6. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then cut each cracker into 4 pieces. Place onto wire racks to cool.
7. To melt chocolate, place into heavy plastic bag and heat on low setting in microwave until chocolate is melted.
8. Snip one corner of bag and drizzle chocolate from bag over cooled almond toffee bars.
* To toast almonds, place on baking sheet and spread out evenly. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for approx. 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. (Watch carefully as they will burn easily!)