- Brad Neuenswander, deputy education commissioner, told the State Board of Education on Wednesday the agency is trying to figure out how to implement a new law signed by Gov. Sam Brownback that creates a coalition of innovative districts.
- Topeka- Kansas Governor Sam Brownback announced Friday Communications Director and Press Secretary Sherriene Jones-Sontag will join the Kansas Lottery as its Deputy Director on July 8, 2013.
- Economic Lifelines issued a statement after lawmakers adjourned their annual session this week praising them for keeping the state's 10-year, $8.2 billion program intact. The program started in 2010.
- Legislators approved a bill canceling most of a sales tax decrease scheduled for July and adjusting income tax laws. The state treasury would gain a net $777 million in revenues over the five years.
- Attorney General Derek Schmidt says the budget lawmakers approved includes two projects requested by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, but also cuts the agency's operational budget.
- State Democratic Party Chair Joan Wagnon was not so eager to jump to excitement once the Kansas Legislature passed the State tax bill early Sunday morning after 99 days in session.
- A Senate committee advanced a bill that would create an 11-member legislative panel to review decisions by the State Board of Education on adopting and implementing any uniform education standards.
- Lawmakers are reviewing a bill that would create an 11-member legislative panel to review decisions by the State Board of Education on adopting and implementing any uniform education standards.
- A measure facing a vote Tuesday afternoon in the House was drafted by House and Senate negotiators to reconcile differences on legislation following individual income tax cuts enacted last year.