Talking guns, Jeb Bush says 'stuff happens,' but tragedies shouldn't always yield new laws
- Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush says he's opposed to new federal gun laws as a response to the mass shooting at an Oregon community college.
Moody's calls Kansas new school funding law a "negative" for its credit
- A major financial rating agency describes Kansas' new school funding law as "negative" for its credit and says it is stressing some local districts.
Big shortfall in Obamacare risk program could hurt insurers
- A key federal program designed to cushion health insurers' risks in the Obamacare exchanges has a massive shortfall, which could throw some insurers into financial turmoil.
New Kan. Ed. Commissioner tells schools to focus on students, not system
- The state's new Commissioner of Education says schools need to become more focused on the student, not the system.
Wichita lawyer Giroux announces challenge to US Rep. Pompeo
- A Wichita attorney has announced plans to challenge Congressman Mike Pompeo next year.
U.S. claims 142,000 more jobs, drops 185,000 full time jobs
- The federal government claimed that the U.S. economy added 142,000 jobs in September and the jobs created in July and August were revised down. The unemployment rate stayed at 5.1%.
Kansas tax collections $31M short of expectations last month
- Kansas collected $31 million less in taxes than anticipated last month, a shortfall that could tighten the state's budget picture.
Kansas panel consider state response to EPA carbon rules
- Kansas lawmakers are grappling with the state's possible response to new federal rules aimed at reducing carbon emissions from power plants.
More Political News