Firework Explodes Into Washington Man's Stomach

By: FOX 12 Oregon
By: FOX 12 Oregon

BRUSH PRAIRIE, WA (KPTV/CNN) - A night of St. Patrick's Day fun ended in serious injury for a Washington man when family members said a faulty firework exploded on his stomach.

James Piccolo and his friends were lighting off some fireworks from his home in Brush Prairie on Sunday night.

His sister Aimee Turner tells us that he was shooting off mortar-style fireworks that you put in a tube, but one wasn't working properly.

"One of the fireworks malfunctioned and before he could toss it, it did explode into his stomach," said Turner. "He does remember and he says, 'I thought I was going to die.'"

Piccolo was rushed to the intensive care unit.

He had surgery Monday, and will have another surgery Wednesday.

His sister says the surgeon worked in war zones in the middle east, and compared Piccolo's injuries to those of soldiers hit by IEDs.

KPTV - FOX 12

Posted by Greg Palmer


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 251281671 - wibw.com/a?a=251281671
Gray Television, Inc.