(CBS/AP)-- A woman's extreme reaction to seeing a snake may have caused her to burn down her own house, authorities in Texas say.
The local Fire Department believes the fire was sparked when the homeowner spotted the snake in her yard, and doused it in gasoline before lighting it on fire.
"The snake went into the brush pile and the brush pile caught the home on fire," said Deputy Randall Baggett, of the Bowie County Sheriff's Office.
Despite firefighter's efforts, the flames completely engulfed the home, as well as damaging the side of a neighboring house.
Fire Chief David Wesslehoft says that although it's not unusual for a burning animal to spread a fire, a fire started by a burning snake is a first for him.
No charges have yet been filed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.