Woman Tries To Kill Snake, Accidentally Burns House Down

By: CBS/AP (Posted by Kion Hudson)
By: CBS/AP (Posted by Kion Hudson)

(CBS/AP)-- A woman's extreme reaction to seeing a snake may have caused her to burn down her own house, authorities in Texas say.

The local Fire Department believes the fire was sparked when the homeowner spotted the snake in her yard, and doused it in gasoline before lighting it on fire.

"The snake went into the brush pile and the brush pile caught the home on fire," said Deputy Randall Baggett, of the Bowie County Sheriff's Office.

Despite firefighter's efforts, the flames completely engulfed the home, as well as damaging the side of a neighboring house.

Fire Chief David Wesslehoft says that although it's not unusual for a burning animal to spread a fire, a fire started by a burning snake is a first for him.

No charges have yet been filed.


631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 199586241