NEW YORK (WIBW/CNNMoney) -- The data breach at Target was significantly broader than originally reported: The company said Friday that 70 to as high as 110 million customers had information such as their name, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses hacked in the breach.
The retail giant had previously said 40 million shoppers had their credit and debit card information stolen in the weeks following Thanksgiving.
Target said the hacking is not a new breach, but that it was discovered as part of the investigation into the theft of card information.
The company also said it would offer free credit monitoring and identity theft protection, which will be made available to everyone who has shopped in their U.S. stores.
“We know this incident has been a confusing and stressful time for our guests, and for that we apologize,” said Scott Kennedy, president, Finance and Retail Services, Target. “We hope this offer provides them with additional peace of mind.”
Target said it will release more information, including instructions in how to enroll in the program, next week and estimates customers will have about three months to sign-up. It added that contact centers have no additional information at this point.
Target also said Friday that sales had been stronger than expected before its original announcement on Dec. 19 but fell sharply after the news. Target warned that sales and profits for the current quarter would be lower than expected because of that loss of consumer confidence.