Five Bodies Found In Ohio Home; Foul Play Suspected

By: CBS News, Posted by Chelsey Moran
By: CBS News, Posted by Chelsey Moran

Firefighters in Ohio have broken into a garage and found five people dead, and police say they believe the deaths weren't accidental.

Investigators think all five might have died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The dead include three children.

Toledo police spokesman Joe Heffernan says the bodies were found in the garage of the Toledo home at about 3:15 p.m. Monday.

Heffernan said officers were called to check on those inside the house after getting a call from a concerned family member.

Lucas County coroner, Dr. James Patrick, tells The (Toledo) Blade that the victims are a 56-year-old woman, her grandchildren, ages 10, 7 and 5, and a 32-year-old man, who is an uncle of one of the children.

A flatbed car-hauler was seen backing in toward the garage.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is poisonous to breathe but produced by many types of equipment, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It kills hundreds of people every year and sickens thousands more.

The gas is found in combustion fumes, such as those from cars, trucks, generators, stoves and heating systems. The CDC points out carbon monoxide is particularly deadly because it people can't tell it is present unless there is a carbon monoxide detector nearby.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 179029441 - wibw.com/a?a=179029441
Gray Television, Inc.