2nd Boy Dies From Shock In Tenn. Lake

By: CBS News, Posted by Chelsey Moran
By: CBS News, Posted by Chelsey Moran
Investigators say a second boy has died after being shocked by a suspected faulty cord from a houseboat as they swam in Cherokee Lake.

The scene at German Creek Marina in Bean Station, Tenn., on Wednesday, July 4, 2012, hours after one boy died and another was critically injured from an apparent electrocution at Cherokee Lake. Authorities said it was uncertain whether the boys were electrocuted in the water or when they touched the metal ladder of one of the houseboats. (Saul Young,AP Photo/Knoxville News Sentinel)

(AP) BEAN STATION, Tenn. - Investigators say a second boy has died after being shocked by a suspected faulty cord from a houseboat as they swam in Cherokee Lake.

Grainger County Sheriff Scott Layel said 11-year-old Nathan Lynam died Thursday night at Children's Hospital in Knoxville. Ten-year-old Noah Winstead of Morristown died at the scene Wednesday afternoon.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency spokesman Matt Cameron said a marine surveyor was helping Thursday as investigators looked for the source of the electrical charge. The boys were shocked as they swam near two houseboats.

Layel said it wasn't immediately clear whether the boys encountered an electrical field in the water or if they were shocked when they touched a metal ladder to one of the houseboats.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 161574265 - wibw.com/a?a=161574265