11-Year Old N.Y. Girl Electrocuted While Playing Mini Golf In Fla.

By: CBS News, Posted by Chelsey Moran
By: CBS News, Posted by Chelsey Moran

(CBS/AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - A medical examiner says an 11-year-old New York girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort's miniature golf course near Orlando.

Orange County deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.

The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.

The Orlando Sentinel reports that the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner confirmed electrocution as the cause of death Thursday.

A building safety department official said that the electrocution was likely caused by a possible faulty pump connected to an improper circuit breaker, reports CBS affiliate WKMG.

Authorities say the Latham, N.Y., girl turned 11 on Friday. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and brother.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 160845015 - wibw.com/a?a=160845015