100 Days Later, Last Boston Marathon Victim Goes Home

By: CBS News (Posted by Melissa Brunner)
By: CBS News (Posted by Melissa Brunner)
Marc Fucarile's family took shifts to make sure he was never alone in the hospital. / CBS News

Marc Fucarile's family took shifts to make sure he was never alone in the hospital. / CBS News

(CBS News) The last of the injured from the Boston Marathon bombings was discharged from the hospital Wednesday, 100 days after the twin bombings that killed three people and injured over 260.

Marc Fucarile lost his right leg above the knee in the blast. He also suffered severe traumatic injuries including burns, shrapnel wounds, and ruptured eardrums.

"When he first got here, he needed help to get dress, he couldn't bathe himself, he had not walked yet and now he's doing all those things," said Dr. Jeff Schneider, Fucarile's physician at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Cambridge, Mass., in an interview with CBSNews.com.

He was with a group of friends, watching another friend cross the finish line when the bombs went off. Two others in the group, brothers J.P. and Paul Norden, also each lost a leg in the blast.

Fucarile spent 100 days in total in hospital; first at Massachusetts General Hospital and then the past 8 weeks at Spaulding.

"Just because he left the hospital doesn't mean his work is over, he still has therapy to go to, and he has on the order of about ten different doctors of different specialties who he's following for the various aspects of his injury, so he has a lot of ongoing care but this is definitely a big step in his recovery," said Schneider.

Fucarile, who had a total of 49 surgical procedures, has a five-year-old son with his fiancee, Jennifer Regan.

"He's very much looking forward to being back in the routine of being a dad on a daily basis. I think that's especially been a big motivator for him," said Schneider.

Relatives and doctors gathered in the lobby of Spaulding to wave Fucarile off as he headed home for the first time since the April 15 bombings.

"It's a really special day for him and his family. He's worked really hard to get to the point where he is today and he's been through a lot and I think it was a proud day for him and his family," said Schneider.

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 216861371