- The Texas Governor announced Monday that he is activating up to 1,000 National Guard troops to the border, accusing the federal government of offering "lip service" on border security.
- For his outstanding heroism in one of the bloodiest encounters in the Afghanistan War, former Army Sgt. Ryan Pitts became the 9th living recipient of the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- A refrigerated train loaded with bodies of the passengers departed the station in Torez, eastern Ukraine, nine miles from the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 Monday. Another 21 bodies have been found in the sprawling fields of east Ukraine where Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was downed last week.
- U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry arrived in Cairo on Monday to launch a new push to end the deadliest conflict between Israel and Gaza's Hamas rulers in just over five years.
- On July 16, 1969, Apollo 11 blasted off on a mission to put man on the moon. That dream came true on July 20, 1969, when Neil Armstrong took "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."