Re-Fueling Plane Towed Through City Streets On Route To Museum

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -Commuters were being re-routed not for road repair or water main breaks this afternoon, but due to a 136 foot KC-135 Stratotanker re-fueling plane.

It was first added to the Air Force during the Eisenhower administration.

The plane revolutionized air war fare once it allowed Air Force pilots during to stay closer to their targets for longer periods of time due to mid-air refueling.

This particular KC-135 was first used by the Air Force in 1958 and then by the Kansas National Guard's 190th Air Refueling Wing until 2007. It will be housed on the south end of Forbes Field at the Museum of the Kansas National Guard.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 167127475 - wibw.com/a?a=167127475