TOPEKA PUBLIC LIBRARY -- On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays through Thursday evening, April 14th, individuals and families who meet certain income criteria can take advantage of free tax assistance offered at the Topeka-Shawnee County Public Library.
Before you come in, make sure you have your W-2s and proof of identification, as well as ID for your spouse if married and filing jointly. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) representatives will assist on a first-come first-served basis. Sign-up is held one hour before the VITA service opens at the Information Booth in the library’s Circulation Lobby. Space is limited.
VITA Tax Preparation Assistance Details:
6:00–8:30pm, Tuesdays, Marvin Auditorium 101A
3:00–8:30pm, Thursdays, Marvin Auditorium 101A
1:00–4:00pm, Saturdays, Marvin Auditorium 101A
Items you need to bring to VITA sites include
• Proof of identification
• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and any dependents
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and any dependents
• Wage and earning statement(s) (usually a W-2 form) from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from your banks (1099 form)
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
• To file taxes electronically on married-filing-joint tax returns, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For a complete checklist of what to do before you go to a VITA site, log on to http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=107626,00.html.
The library also offers paper copies of the federal tax forms for free. Ask at any reference desk for materials that may further assist you. To have a state form mailed to your home, call 785-368-8222.
Kansans are encouraged to file online at: www.ksrevenue.org/index.htm
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library is 21st-century, landmark library, and features the Alice C. Sabatini Art Gallery, the Millennium Café, the Chandler Booktique Gift Shop, meeting rooms, and free computer and Internet access and training.
Library hours are Weekdays from 9am to 9pm, Saturdays from 9am to 6pm and Sunday Noon to 9pm.