TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)- Fire officials say an electrical wire is to blame for starting a fire in a north east topeka home earlier this morning.
Fire fighters were called to Southwest First Street around 2 o'clock this morning after receiving a report of a fire inside the chimney of the home.
Officials determined that a electrical wire that ran under the mantle of the fire place shorted out and triggered the blaze.
Fire officials say the blaze was contained to the living room and caused only minor damage.The residents of the home all escaped without injury.
Fire Chief Cyndy Holt says the homes smoke detectors saved the lives of the residents. The Fire Department is now offering to install free smoke alarms in homes that do not have one.
To get more information please contact the Topeka Fire Department at 368-4000.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.